Sunday, March 31, 2013

I Khan’t win over critics

Amir Khan

AMIR KHAN has given up trying to win over every fan as he says he will always be pilloried whatever he does.

The ex-world champion takes the next step towards regaining his light-welterweight crown against Julio Diaz at Sheffield’s Motorpoint Arena on April 27.
Khan came in for ferocious criticism when he lost his WBA and IBF titles to Lamont Peterson in a controversial bout in Washington DC.
Then he was blasted again when he was sparked by Danny Garcia after four brutal rounds in Las Vegas last July.
Ever since Khan was knocked out in 54 seconds by Colombian Breidis Prescott early in his career, he has been labelled chinny.
And the Bolton ace, 26, has also been forced to live with his opponents constantly being rubbished as not good enough to give him a real test.
Khan said: “When I stopped Zab Judah in five rounds people said that I had beaten a fighter who was all washed up.
“Yet in his very next fight, Zab stopped previously unbeaten Vernon Paris in nine rounds and has now got a shot at the world title when he fights Garcia at the end of April. So much for being washed up!
“It was the same when I beat Paulie Malignaggi. He was written off... but moved up a division to welterweight and is the reigning WBA champion!
“Against Marcos Maidana, I don’t feel I got credit for the way I stood up to his attacks in the later rounds. Yet that fight was voted ‘Bout of the Year’.
“I don’t know why some fans and a few other fighters have a go at me... jealousy? Maybe.
“But I’ve learned to live with it and all that kind of sneaky criticism no longer bothers me.”
Khan’s American handlers Golden Boy Promotions have already mapped out his route back to the top and he could be fighting in Las Vegas in early December if things work out.
He added: “I am only fighting twice this year, once for my fans in the UK when Diaz will be in the opposite corner in Sheffield, then in December.
“Nothing can be counted on as a certainty, but the plan is for the winner of the bout between Peterson and Lucas Matthysse to box off against the winner of Garcia and Judah.
“If it all comes off, then I’d fight the winner in December — and hopefully I will bring the world title back to the UK.”
Khan’s long lay-off is due to his wedding in May. But he revealed: “I agree it’s a long time out but I plan to do a couple of ‘mini’ camps to make sure I stay in the right condition.”
- TICKETS for Khan v Diaz can be bought from www.motorpointarenasheffield.co.uk or call 0114 256 5656.

No comments:

Post a Comment