Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Podolski has 'no problem' with being on the bench for Germany

The Arsenal striker admits that his aim is to have a starting berth for Joachim Low's side but is willing to bide his time for now.
Lukas Podolski has insisted that he is not unhappy with his current role as a substitute forGermany, though he hopes to convince Joachim Low to grant him a starting place soon.

Podolski came on as a replacement for the injured Julian Draxler after just 19 minutes in the 3-0 win over Kazakhstan on Friday, earning his 108th cap in the process. Speaking to Bild am Sonntag, the 27-year-old stressed Podolski that he was not surprised to be on the bench in Astana but would like to use it as a platform to once again become a regular.

"I've been training hard the last three weeks but missed the last game with Arsenal," Podolski said. "Therefore I was quite clear that I would only sit on the bench. I talked before the game with the national team coach. That was all OK.

"Of course I want to play forever. But I have witnessed so much with the national team. Some unique moments. I now have 108 caps. 

"And even if I'm now on bench, then it is no big deal for me, because it is also clear the World Cup in Brazil will not start on Tuesday in Nuremberg against Kazakhstan. And my goal is to be at the World Cup. But first we have to qualify and win on Tuesday."

Podolski has scored eight goals in 25 Premier League games for Arsenal this season and is optimistic about his chances of representing Germany in the next World Cup, a major tournament he concedes could be his last.

"It would be my third World Cup," he continued.

"I'll be 29-years-old and as you go towards 30, you have to look at how you feel, what thoughts you have after such a tournament. And then things will decide for themselves what is right. But basically, I have the goal to play as long as possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment