Sunday, March 31, 2013

I stopped my career going down the toilet

Andy Murray

ANDY MURRAY has revealed how talking to himself in the toilet turned his career around.

The Brit will go second in the world rankings should he beat David Ferrer at the Sony Open final in Miami today.
He is overwhelming favourite to win and overtake Roger Federer in the standings — but last September he feared being at a standstill after another Major chance was going down the pan.
Novak Djokovic had levelled the US Open final 2-2 and it took a pep talk in the courtside loo for Murray to secure his greatest triumph.
Murray said: “It is small, not much more than a toilet, a sink and a mirror.
“I was thinking: ‘Why do I keep losing these finals? Do I lack something?’
“I never talk to myself. Not out loud. You would never catch me walking around the house and actually saying things to myself.
“Isn’t that supposed to be the first sign of madness?
“That is why that toilet break was so unusual. I stood in front of the mirror with sweat dripping down my face By MIKE McGRATH and I knew I had to change what was going on inside.
“I had to get a grip of my mind. So I started talking. Out loud.
“‘You are not losing this match,’ I said to myself. ‘You are NOT losing this match.’
“I started out a little tentative but my voice got louder.
“‘You are NOT letting this slip. This is your time. You’ve never been closer to a Grand Slam. Give it everything. Leave nothing out there’.
“At first, it felt weird but I felt something change. I was surprised by my response. I knew I could win.”
Muzza famously won the final set for his first Major title. And his confidence has been sky-high ever since.
The 25-year-old reached the Aussie Open final and is on the brink of returning to No 2 in the world behind Djokovic.
Defeating Richard Gasquet 6-7 6-1 6-2 on Friday secured a place in his second successive Sony Open final.
Murray added: “The only reason making No 2 is a big deal is because of seedings.
“I’ve been there before so it’s not necessarily new but it’s nice to be moving in the right direction.
“If it doesn’t happen this week I’ll try to make it in the next couple of weeks.”
Murray’s progress in the last 12 months, including Olympic gold, has changed his public image after being branded boring.
He admits he struggles to show emotions around men but not around mother Judy and girlfriend Kim Sears.
Murray said: “I find it OK around my mum and girlfriend. That was one of the best things about winning the US Open.
“It gave me a chance to sit them down and explain how grateful I am for everything they have done.
“I find it more difficult to show my emotions around men. I don’t know why.
“I want to let them know how much they mean and how much I appreciate all the help they have given me but it is difficult.
“I try to compensate by putting everything into my tennis. I want to show how much they mean by winning.”
But he also revealed how his dad Will, who split from Judy when Murray was nine, has a big role in his life too.
Murray added: “Because my mum’s around a lot at competitions people focus on her.
“They don’t see my dad as much but that doesn’t mean he is not a big part of my life. He has always been there supporting me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment