Sunday, March 31, 2013

Tony frozen out by the big Chil

 Isaac Chilemba (L) and Tony Bellew

TONY BELLEW’S hopes for a world-title shot are on hold after a controversial draw with Isaac Chilemba last night.

Scouser Bellew was not at his explosive best in front of his home fans at the Echo Arena.
But he was left seething after believing he had done enough to impress the judges against Malawi-born light-heavyweight Chilemba.
French judge Christophe Fernandez even scored the contest 116-112 in favour of Chilemba.
Ghana’s Eddie Pappoe gave it to Bellew 116-115 while Swiss judge Fabian Guggenheim could not split the pair and had them 114 each.
Bellew, 30, fumed: “I thought I won the fight. I thought I had nine out the 12 rounds.
“His trainer, one of the most respected men in the game, has just said to me ‘You’ve won it’.
“I don’t know what to say. What has that judge been watching? It’s insane.
“What’s going down here? I believed I’d done enough.”
Bellew, 30, was looking to become mandatory challenger for Chad Dawson’s WBC crown but he would hardly have struck fear into the champion with this display.
He got off to a decent start but Chilemba, 25, frustrated his opponent as the rounds wore on.
Bellew managed to wake up his fans with a stinging right in the ninth and landed some crashing body shots.
But despite his strong finish the judges did not see enough to give it to the home fighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment