Thursday, April 18, 2013

Fury needs to keep his gob shut

Tyson Fury

TYSON FURY has been told to keep his gob shut or risk becoming a hate figure in America where he fights at New York’s Madison Square Garden.

The unbeaten Manchester heavyweight faces Steve Cunningham on Saturday and has been shooting from the lip ever since he arrived in the Big Apple.
Fury has already annoyed fighters in the UK with his trash talk, branding David Haye a pathetic loser and the world champion Klitschko brothers Wladimir and Vitali as nothing more than geriatric pensioners.
But Amir Khan insists fight fans in the US want to see Fury deliver in the ring instead of cranking up the hype before he’s even thrown a punch.
Khan, who attempts to get back on the world title trail next week in Sheffield, said: “Fury hasn’t proved anything or won anything big yet.
“If I was him I would stay quiet and let the public build you up by putting on good performances while showing off his skills.
“If he is in America early in his career and talking big like he is a world champion already or the best pound-for-pound people are going to hate on him and that could be a bad thing.”
Khan reckons only giants of the ring like Muhammad Ali and outrageous current stars Floyd Mayweather Junior and Zab Judah can get away with mouthing off.
He added: “Mayweather has a way of going crazy and Zab Judah is the same and so was Muhammad Ali.
“Me? I had that little scuffle with Paul Malignaggi a while back in New York but apart from that I’ve been quiet.
“I think Tyson is a great fighter, he’s got up off the canvas when he’s been down, excites the crown and can punch hard.
“But I’ve fought in America a number of times now and believe for him to go there and hype himself up could be a bad thing.
“People will respect him more if he wins the fight with a good performance instead of talking big.”
Fury’s opponent Cunningham has been written off as little more than a blown up cruiserweight — the division where he first won the world title in 2006.
Traveller Fury, unbeaten in 20, says there is more to him than hype and trash talk, insisting he has already demonstrated he has the tools to become world heavyweight champion.
He said: “I switch off the tele when I see a lot of these European fighters who do nowt more than jab-grab. Who wants to be bored stiff watching that crap?
“The heavyweight division has been dull for so long although Haye livened it up a bit until his no-show against Vitali Klitschko.
“My aim is to liven things up and if being honest by saying what I feel upsets a few people, then so be it.
“I’ve beaten everyone put in front of me, knocking out 14 of them. I am not in this game to bore people. I don’t want fans to turn up and watch a 12-round bore.
“I aim to bring the glory days back to heavyweight boxing. There’s nobody who’s come through the ranks, grabbed the division by the balls, and turned it on its head.
“That’s where I come in...”

No comments:

Post a Comment